Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spray Painting My New Lamp

I had an adventure yesterday. I've been seeing all these great thrift store and dollar store finds and I must admit, I'm jealous. After searching my local thrift store 2 weekends in a row, I've come up empty handed. So I ventured a little further from the house and found a local Salvation Army that claims to have the largest furniture selection in Ohio. I found this really ugly lamp that soon became my favorite accessory in my bedroom. 
I'm working on adding text to my pictures, so as I take you through my journey, let me know if you like it! Also, if you plan on spray painting something, I have some tips I'd like to share with you. 


Let's get started! I found this lamp for $2.99 at the local thrift store
I talked to the paint people at Lowes and they recommended I prime the lamp before painting it. I'm not 100% sure this was needed but it looks great, so I can't complain. 
If you've never done this before, learn from me. You should probably tape 6" of your cord off because you'll get over-spray from the spray paint. Oh and tape off the top too!
I use valspar because that's what was recommended and they have a great selection of colors.
When I said over-spray, I really meant it. I got this stuff everywhere! Be sure to use a well ventilated area because this stinks. I did it in the basement with the windows wide open and the house still stunk. 

Put on lamp shade and admire new lamp. 

No comments: