Monday, May 9, 2011

Mitered square quilt baby blanket

I was talking to a friend about my Etsy shop the other night and she said, "Do you make baby blankets?" I immediately responded, "Yes!". She decided to commission me to make a baby blanket for her as a gift for her sister (I think). I've been eying a mitered square baby blanket in One Yard Wonders for a little while now, and decided to try it.

First off- quilting is hard! It takes a lot of patience and accuracy. You have to measure, cut, and sew completely straight, otherwise your quilt squares will end up crooked (or at least for this type of quilt they will).

To make the squares, you have to lay out the striped fabric and fold it in half so the stripes line up. Then you cut strips of the fabric. From the strips, you cut four squares. Then you line up the squares, draw a line diagonally across each one, and then sew 1/4 inch lines on each side. You cut the square down the line you drew, and that makes half of one quilt square.

You join the squares together, then line up the squares and piece together the quilt. After piecing the squares together, then you put on the quilt backing, flip the whole thing inside out and topstitch around it all.

Anyhow, I embroidered her nickname in the corner and added a tag. I wrapped the whole thing up in a beautiful package and sent it off. I'm really excited to see what she thinks of it. I'm hoping that my quilting skills will improve on my next quilt- this one came out a bit optical-illusion-y.

I had a lot of fun with the sewing machine this round- I won, but I broke a needle, had to figure out thread tension about 20 times, and learned how to use a pattern CAM, which is a really cool reel that you insert in the machine that sews a pattern for you. I used it on the edge.

Oooh, optical illusion...
Isn't this cute? I love the CAMs!
This is the other side- pink flannel.
I did the embroidery by hand using a backstitch.

No comments: