Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fun with Green Gingham


So my mom cleaned out her craft closet and gave me a lot of cast-off fabric.  Some of it was scary (think 1986 scary), but some of it is super cute!  I have had my eye on this green gingham bit lately, because, well, I need something to wear for St. Patty's Day.  I was thinking: cute skirt.

I started with this pattern from Stitch Magazine (It is free to download):  One Pleat Skirt

I wanted an A-line skirt, so I took only the top part of the skirt pattern, and then modified it to make it A-Line.  Basically, where it started curving in, I took a straight-edge and kept it flaring out.  


Then I started to sew.  Mind you, this pattern came with no instructions (and I didn't feel like buying a back-issue of Stitch to get them), so I made it up as I went along.  I started with a seam, and then put in a little zipper at the top (because let's face it, you can't pull non-stretchy cotton up over a ghetto booty).

But then I discovered that the pattern, meant for my size, still was going to be wayyyy too small.  So I added a panel, which came out mostly okay. 




                      










I finished with some darts, and then rolled the waistband and hem and voila!  A cute skirt for St. Patty's!

All the while, Darla was keeping me company, so I thought I would make her something too.  I stitched up a little bandanna using scrap fabric and some string, and then I added a little fabric rose.





 I hope to use the rose idea to make a matching headband for my skirt!

The tutorial for the Lucy Rose can be found here, at the Trey and Lucy blog:  













Linking to:

Photobucket

1 comment:

Miss K @ kraftingwithk said...

Wow - super cute and I'm impressed you aren't intimidated by zippers.